Sunday, December 05, 2010

Things Happen That Surprise Me

My wife and I have been having a series of serious talks over the past week. Nothing serious about "us"...just exploring some topics that we both care deeply about. Some of it relates to our processing of grief, some to our spirituality, some to our beliefs about the relationship between pleasure and happiness. As we've gone through these discussions this week, we've both had some "ah ha" moments where we learned new things, came upon a new idea, or gained new perspective from the other.

But we did finish our last conversation late last night with still some questions remaining unanswered and some feelings still lingering without resolution.

Then we went to church this morning. It was a day where our minister had swapped pulpits with another minister in the state - he was at their church and she was at ours. And with a visiting minister, we walked in without any idea what the sermon would be about - no title on the web page, no summary in the monthly newsletter.

As she talked, we were both struck repeatedly by how the things she said related to our conversations. Over and over. We couldn't wait till we got out to the car to just look at each other and go "oh my god!" Several things said summarized some of our thoughts perfectly. Some of what she said expanded our ideas. And some of it gave us new ideas and thoughts that just helped pull it all together.

Coincidence? Synchronicity? Fate? Dumb luck?

I have no idea what really makes things like that happen. But when it does, I can feel myself reacting to the surprise and the pure joy of being in the moment with that kind of experience.

4 comments:

Bijoux said...

The Lord works in mysterious ways.....very cool story, Em.

Mrs. Chili said...

This sort of thing happens to me ALL THE TIME. I don't know whether it's the Universe sending me message or if it's just that, because I've been present to these things, I notice them more, but either way, it's really reassuring (and reinforcing).

secret agent woman said...

The scientist in me says it's coincidence and we just don't notice all the times it doesn't happen. Still, we humans are meaning-makers and I love our ability to find meaning and lessons in things like that. How great for you that it captured and furthered your thinking.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

I love when that happens (unnerving though it may be at times)!