Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Old Dog Tries Some New Tricks

Way back when I started this blog, I wrote about transitions. Go ahead...check it out. I'll wait.

Welcome back! So that was four years ago. Today I turn 54. And I find myself working through a whole new set of transitions.

Not about being old. I've got no real problem with turning 54. Well, no problem other than the places that hurt that didn't use to hurt.

No, the real transitions this time are more about trying to find myself...or maybe explore a new self...in the aftermath of so many changes in my life.

During these past 4 years, both my mom and my wife's mom passed away. We also had two other deaths in the family that were very hard on everyone. But not every transition was about death. We've also sent Son2 off to college. After struggling for 20 years raising this kid with asperger's syndrome, anxiety disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder, he is off on his own. We are still more involved than any parent of a more typical college kid, but still, he has moved out of the house and is being successful.

So good changes. Bad changes. Lots of changes.

Time for me to regroup. To look for new ways to focus on positive things. To get back to an exploration of spirituality. To try new things. To let go of trying to be the uber parent. To let go of sadness.

Lucky you. You get to come along for the ride. And one of the best ways for me to be spontaneous is to have a plan. Yeah, I know...but that's how I am. So you'll see a link to a second blog over there on the side. I'm taking a shot at one of those memes that so many others have tried. And maybe going down that road will help me find an adventure or two.

Suggestions for new adventures are always welcome. Just keep in mind that I hate heights.

4 comments:

Bijoux said...

What a wonderful idea! I'm not sure I could come up with that many new things to try.....it would probably include a lot of food! Best wishes for the upcoming year of new experiences.

secret agent woman said...

Sy are you going to try to keep two blogs going, or morph over to the other one?

And happy birthday!!

Em said...

Cocotte - 54 ideas won't come easily. I could think of grandiose things, but 54 realistic new things will take some work. And perhaps you and I collaborating! LOL

Secret Agent - this blog will stay right here and continue as the spot where I write in general. And I hope to even write more regularly! The other blog will just have 54 posts detailing my little adventures. Though as I think about it more, I might just blend those into this blog rather than keeping them separate. We'll see.

Tanya @ TeenAutism said...

Happy Birthday, Em! Nigel was born on your birthday - his 16th was yesterday! Hope you enjoyed your day, and that you have a great next year of life.